Interested? Read on!
The way it would work is that an author would send in a short piece of writing. (We thought something up to 300 words or so)
The organiser would anonymise it and post all the submissions. Each passage would have all the authors' names available so that people can vote for which author they think wrote which piece. Voting would be anonymous until closed.
We’d all have a week to consider, and then there would be the big reveal!
Other things we thought about:
- It’s not about critiquing someone’s style: instead, it’s about seeing if we can identify an author’s style from what they’ve written
- Although obviously people can write something very different from their normal style, we're particularly hoping for things people wrote while not trying to be different from usual
- Similarly, it’s not about commenting on the content of the piece (although this could come later)
- Some people have a very distinctive style and some don’t. There are no right or wrong ‘answers’ – it’s a game!
- You can send in a WIP or part of a WIP
- If you don't have a WIP or don't want to use it because you might need it for a future challenge (e.g. Pros Big Bang), feel free to write something
- Please note that anyone is allowed to vote, but if you send in a piece for inclusion then please vote as well
- The first round would be just for authors but if there’s interest then we can try this for artists and vidders as well.
What we need to know is whether enough people are interested in submitting a piece of writing. We’d also need a volunteer to run it who doesn’t want to submit their writing and who can create polls.
So to make things easier to see, here’s a poll:
D'ya wanna play?
So what do you think? Please vote and comment so we can see if we need to get busy. Oh, and if there are things I've forgotten to add, fellow conspirators, or if you have questions, please go ahead!